Michigan is an attractive market for wind energy and ranks 12th in the nation for installed wind capacity. Montcalm County specifically has several key attributes that make the location ideal for wind energy development.
- Verified wind resource
- Expansive private land with interested farmers and landowners
- Existing high-voltage transmission lines, limiting the need for new infrastructure
- Proximity to state highways and transportation infrastructure
- Avoids sensitive airspace and environmental areas
- Demand from local utilities for renewable energy (DTE, Consumers Energy, among others)
- Access to local skilled workforce