ONE OF THE LARGEST ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS IN MONTCALM COUNTY HISTORY
$776 million of new private investment in rural Montcalm County
Montcalm Wind represents a significant economic development opportunity for rural Montcalm County. Between construction spending, long term operations jobs, landowner rent payments, and new local property tax revenue, the project represents $776 million in new investment for Montcalm County townships and more than $300 million in new personal income to benefit the local farm economy.
The Montcalm Economic Alliance contracted with the Michigan-based W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research to conduct an economic impact analysis for the proposed development. Released in April 2022, the report found that the economic development impacts from the project would be "quite significant." They include:
- Construction of the project would create 876 local jobs (one-year FTE equivalents) and support an additional 915 state and regional manufacturing and supply chain jobs.
- 48 long-term local operations and induced jobs
- $80 Million in new local tax revenue over the 30-year life of the project, including over $38 million in the first 10 years alone.
- $118 million in landowner and community lease payments
- Increases local tax base in Montcalm County townships by over $230 million, making the project the largest taxpayer by far in these communities.
Read the full Economic Impact Study below: